My daughter and I made a Summer Bucket List. There are 30 items on this list and we have only tackled on about a handful of items. Partially my fault. One of them was to hit 4 farms and go blueberry picking and make a blueberry pie. My husband took a couple of days off of work and we went exploring in Michigan. We came across a blueberry farm in Harbert, Michigan and went picking!
Today I made my first homemade blueberry pie. I’ll be honest..I went to make my own crust…major FAIL. However, I happen to have Breads by Anna Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix and my husband said, “just use it!” Ah, thank you Anna for making such wonderful products, I heart your stuff! So, I still cooked the crust I made into a “cookie” but it still fell apart. Oh well, at least I tried! And now we only have 3 more farms to visit and an apple pie to make this fall. (I’ll be making an order soon for another pie crust mix..because why bother when something is that good using great, quality ingredients!)
- 3 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries rinsed and drained
- 1 T of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 c of agave
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp of powdered vanilla
- 1/4 c of arrowroot starch (can use cornstarch instead)
Directions for Blueberry Filling
- Mix lemon juice, agave, cinnamon, nutmeg and powdered vanilla in measure cup.
- Pour over blueberries then mix the arrowroot starch and let it sit for 10-min
- Pour blueberry pie filling into your favorite gluten free or regular pie crust. I used Breads From Anna gluten free pie mix. I LOVE her products. This pie crust is naturally gluten free and vegan! I used about 3/4 of this mix into the dish and save the rest for the Buckle Topping below
- 1/4 c of sorghrum flour
- 1/4 c of tapioca flour
- 1/2 c maple sugar (you can use brown sugar, but my goal was to make this refined sugar free)
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2T of Spectrum Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 c of Breads From Anna mixture
Directions for Crumble Topping
- Mix the flours and spices together, then add the pie dough and mix until crumbly.
- Add the shortening and continue to mix until it is more crumb like. Place on top of blueberry mixture.
- Bake pie at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Cool and serve
My husband really wanted a homemade whipped topping, so I made some
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream (ultra pasteurized will take longer to whip)
- 1T of agave
Directions for Whipped Cream
- I had a kitchen aid mixer, so it is nice to walk away while it is working. Place the ingredients the mixer, I placed the blade and the kitchen aid bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes to get really cold so it would whip faster. I started at level 2 and each time the cream got thicker, I turned it up a notch until it was on high.