After reading a blog from the Healthy Home Economist about Julia Roberts not using toothpaste, It made me smile. After all I don’t use fluoride toothpaste for my teeth either. After I went gluten free almost 7 years ago, I began to read a lot, I mean A LOT about ingredients. Some of you know I read and follow Dr. Mercola here from Chicago and I gave it up (and other bad stuff) soon after I gave up gluten. Primarily because I was in the process of getting my body baby ready and wanted to be super healthy. I even went as far as removing my mercury fillings five months after going gluten free after reading how the mercury fillings pose a health risk in our bodies. I went straight to his office to do this too because I didn’t want the mercury floating in my body while I was pregnant. Here are many reasons why you should give up your fluoride as well:
1. It impairs thyroid function. Basically, fluoride and iodine don’t get along and when we have excess fluoride in the body, it effects how the thyroid works, weakening it and failing to help the thyroid make the iodine we get from our food supply.
2. Too much fluoride effects our minds. Yep, research is finding those with mental health issues have an iodine deficiency and linking it to having too much fluoride in our bodies.
3. Lack of iodine shuts down the levels of thyroxine (T4). This is they thyroid hormone that helps with metabolism. (You see where I am going?)
4. Only half of ingested fluoride gets excreted. Where does the rest go? It gets stored into our bones, tissues and blocking elements like iodine.
5. Where else is fluoride found besides the obvious? Cereals, soda, processed foods, juices from concentrate. anti-depressants (which doesn’t help the brain heal by the way) and also as pesticides (another reason to follow the Dirty Dozen produce list)
6. It can cause cancer
So how do you reduce your consumption of fluoride?
1. Buy fluoride free toothpaste and dental floss. My personal favorite is Desert Essence(R) Natural Tea Tree Oil & Neem, also gluten free. Also Trader Joe’s sells a toothpaste made with Myrrh, which was used in Biblical times in death, but to also clean teeth. I buy Kiss My Face Fluoride Free toothpaste for my kids. (btw, I just took my daughter to the dentist for the first time and she said she rarely sees pretty white teeth on kids anymore and no x-rays were needed because she showed no signs of cavities)
2. Many bottled waters do not contain fluoride, however, if you rely on bottled waters, then buy these brands instead: Evian, Colistoga or my personal favorites Penta Ultra-Purified Water and Smart Water. You can find out the fluoride and other mineral content of your favorite bottled waters at Bottled Water Web’s Bottlers listing or check out EWG Water Bottle Scorecard.
3. Buy shower filters that filter out the chlorine. I know we are talking fluoride, but chlorine is another toxic chemical that has ill effects on the body. I am considering buying this one myself: Golden Illumination
4. Buy a water filter for your kitchen sink. Chicago is known for having the highest levels of fluoride in their water systems. I bought a Reverse Osmosis system when my daughter was a newborn and love it!
What about keeping your teeth clean?
1. Use a motorized toothbrush first thing in the morning and right before bedtime.
2. Best time to floss is before bed and before you brush your teeth.
3. You can swish with a 50/50 Hydrogen Pyroxide and water solution to get your teeth white every night.
4. Using baking soda and salt (brush gently) like Julia Roberts does to brush your teeth or mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with some hydrogen pyroxide to make a paste to brush your teeth. Then brush with your fluoride free toothpaste afterwards.
5. Despite who Catherine Zeta-Jones rubs strawberries to whiten her teeth, it is not recommended or rubbing any citrus peels on your teeth, as it will wear away the enamel.
6. Eating a whole foods based diet that is free of processed foods, soda, juices, refined sugars is also key. 🙂
Or you can make your own toothpaste:
So I am doing the natural teeth whitening challenge in September, starting this Saturday for 30-days to see what happens. Who wants to join me?