Thanks to Pinterest, I have been inspired in my kitchen. I have seen quite a few recipes for cauliflower tots in some way shape or form, but many I was seeing was full of heavy cream, a load of cheese, butter. My challenge in the kitchen is making everything food that is low in salicylates. If you don’t follow my blog on Chicago Parent, I have disclosed my son has a salicylate allergy which has cleared up his psoriasis, he functions better, sleeps better and is happier little boy. So this recipe is low in salicylates, but very tasty and I’ll give you some modifications that I would have done differently to give these tots a little more pizazz.
My son has yet to like them, he is not use to eating cheese or eggs, so it is new for him, but hopefully he will soon. My motto is consistency and persistency wins the race.
Healthy Cauliflower Tots
- 2 cups of grated cauliflower
- half of an onion
- 2 green onions
- 1 garlic clove or 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 cup of Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 tsp of celtic salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup of shredded Raw Milk Cheddar Cheese (I buy mine from Trader Joe’s and shred it myself)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To make it easy, I put all of the cauliflower, onion, green onions, garlic clove in my Kitchen-Aid 3.5 cup food processor. This way you still can get the health benefits of having real garlic without having to press it or chop it.
- Mix the Nutritional Yeast, egg, salt and cheese together. The yellow color from the Nutritional Yeast gives it that yellow color that many tater tots have.
- Place the mixture in mini-muffin pans. I use a silicon based muffin pan and love it.
- Place in the oven for 20-minutes or until the crisp golden brown you like. This makes about 24 tots.
- I would have added some white pepper and paprika to it. I’ll let you all play with that mixture. I did add oregano one time and we liked it.
- This is way to easy to not make it. I had them for breakfast and my daughter loved them after soccer camp as a snack. This would definitely be an ideal after school snack or some quick breakfast when school gets underway.
- We have found that we do much better eating raw milk cheese and hope you enjoy these as much as we do!