It is strange because purple potatoes has been on my mind to create a soup with, so this was timely. I love purple potatoes. They are a unique find in the potato world and if you have a little girl who loves pink and purple, even better.
The health benefits of eating purple potatoes is great too. High in phenols (powerful plant antioxidants) rivals that of broccoli, spinach and Brussels sprouts. If you factor in the particular benefits of anthocyanins (this is what gives it the purple color), the health-promoting benefits of purple potatoes skyrocket!
Proven to help reduced blood pressure, it also makes it a heart-healthy starchy vegetable and anti-cancer too.
- 1 small white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 sweet potato baked (or boiled) de-skinned
- 5 roma tomatoes
- 2 16 oz cans of organic no salt added tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2lbs of purple potatoes cleaned and cubed
- 1/2 lb of butternut squash diced
- 3-4 chicken thighs
- 3-4 Tablespoons of lime juice
- 3-4 Tablespoons of Cilantro
- 1 can of Eden’s Organic navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package of Chile Con Carne Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon of Himalayan Salt (or 2 tsp of sea salt)
- Preheat oven at 350.
- Salt and pepper chicken thighs add 1 Tablespoon of Cilantro and lime juice to each chicken thigh.
- Bake for 20-minutes.
- Cut purple potatoes and dice butternut squash and put in water to boil.
- Drain once potatoes are tender.
- While chicken in baking and potatoes are boiling, saute onions until translucent, then add garlic and saute for one more minute.
- While onions are sauteing, puree tomatoes, sauce and sweet potato in blender.
- Add tomato mix to the onions and garlic, then add the Chili Con Carne Spice and navy beans over a medium flame.
- Place chicken into sauce mixture and bring it to a boil. This will help soften the chicken to shred.
- Add potatoes and squash to the sauce and add two cups of water and Himalayan Salt to taste.
- Cook over the stove on low for 2 hours.
- Top with Cilantro and my favorite Beanitos Corn-free Tortilla chips!